Here we are again was looking through my files (yes again I do not want to write anything because it will be political and I have said what I need to say time and time again so enough is enough).
Archivals again…. Mz. Velour
This month Mz. V. Demystifies hair removal techniques! She delves into sticky pastes and more to find out what suits you and your precious skin.
- Dear Mz. V, I’ve always wondered which is best Shaving, waxing, sugaring, threading, or depilatory creams?
- Dear smoothie: The road to smoother skin is a long and winding one. I have tried every single one you’ve heard of (and some odd ones you probably didn’t hear of)! My advice to a lot of you ladies or gentlemen (some men are removing the hair on their backs and chests, professional swimmers remove all their body hair) is to take an Advil or Ibuprofen at least a half an hour before you go and do any of the below hair removal techniques.
So here we go:
NONE of these methods are painless or irritant-free!
You want to be smooth it will cost you blood (we hope not!), sweat (for sure), and tears pleanty of those. Now that said, the more you do things like middle-eastern sugaring the more you get used to it and the more used to it you are the less it hurts. 😀
- Middle – Eastern Sugaring: Probably one of the most ancient forms of Depilation. Tombs have been discovered with remnants of this, usually made from a sugar, water, and lemon cooked into a taffy like paste, left to dry on a plate of sesame or olive oil. The great thing about sugaring is that it removes the hairs to the roots, it lasts (depending upon the rate of your body hair growth) between 3 or 4 weeks. The lemon insures that your hair tips are bleached (hair is like bamboo it grows in several stages). The oils insure a silky finish and smooth skin, the legend is that over the years your hair will lessen. You do not burn your skin as you heat the paste in your hands so it never exceeds body temperature. You can make it yourself or buy it ready made, this method is good for coarse hair. (Ouch factor: First time hellish, and after that minimal).
- European Sugaring: Same as above but it is more runny, they claim it is Egyptian, but despite the origins, this one is more messy as it is really runny and you have to use cotton or linen strips which you smooth onto the paste and then pull out the hairs. (Ouch Factor as above, but more messy).
- Depilatory creams: Purely chemical (in the roman times it was a paste made out of arsenic and lead) it removes the hair nearly like shaving. Strong smell, messy totally unreliable, plus the fact you can be allergic to it.
- Threading: Also an ancient method from this region of the world. Thread are twisted together and one end is held in the mouth, after which the twisted ends are rolled over the skin effectively removing the hair. This method was the inspirational source for “EPILADY” the spring coil hair remover. (Ouch factor: Slight).
- Shaving: Shaving comes in several forms, Straight razors, electric, wet & dry electric shavers. A clear favourite of women on the go, and impatient women who don’t have the patience or the time to wait for the hair to grow so they can sugar or wax it. (Ouch factor: minimal, but there’s risk of 5 o’clock shadow, cuts, ingrown hairs).
- Electrolysis: This is a time consuming and expensive method not risk free. A needle is put into the hair-sack which is zapped by a high frequency electrical current, effectively destroying it. (Ouch factor: High. Risk of scarring and other complications if done by inexperienced technicians, painful.)
- Laser & Light therapy: These two methods are extremely well thought of, as they are the ones which are most effective and quick. Light is shot through crystals or precious stones, which are concentrated into a beam that zaps the hair follicles destroying them. Thus reducing the amount of hair semi-permanently, sometimes more visits are required for total hairlessness. (Ouch facto: slight heat and discomfort. But the results are worth it. Must be done by experienced professionals as scarring might occur, as a result of intense heat).
These are some of the methods used to remove hair, always remember that you have to be well scrubbed before removing the hair. And to maintain the smooth skin use a scrub every time you shower so as to reduce ingrown hairs and bumps, after showering use a skin smoothing, antiseptic, and/or a cream containing Soy- extract (which is thought to decrease the rate of hair growth, which makes your hair removal last longer) in the case of light & laser therapy do avoid the sun for a couple of days.
Remember Hormones are the reason for hair growth amount and thickness, this is determined by genetics, so if you feel that your body hair is too much, I advise the more permanent hair removal, the news is that it is also good for light haired people, which a few years ago was an impossibility.
Very Important to remember, for those who are not allergic to Ibuprofen or have stomach Ulcers and are extremely sensitive you can try this trick (it is not for everyone consult your physician or pharmacist): A 600mg Ibuprofen half an hour to 45 minutes before going to remove the hair should numb the pain a bit.