Hello Again Skinlovers!
Some more skintips, I was digging around in my archives from my agony aunt days and came across some fabbitty fab tips for you guys so here we go:
Q. My make up always melts in summer and I wind up looking like a panda, how can I avoid this and what else can I do to prevent future melt-downs?
A. Dear Panda! I hate summer, the heat, and the sunlight will ruin your looks. But there are rescue remedies out there. Here are a few tried and true tips for you:
- Always use waterproof make up, and if you can’t, then buy it off the internet. This will be your saviour.
- Waterproof mascara is a good start, and you can get them in all colours, this is the time to experiment (but remember to have the suitable makeup remover for waterproof makeup).
- Creamy eyeshadow which are waterproofed are ideal, the newer formulations also make them crease-proof and cooling at the same time.
- Try a tinted matte sunscreen instead of foundation; these are excellent and long lasting giving a subtle glow to your face.
- Use creamy blushes as well they are more natural looking and give you a nice tint.
- Shimmer is your friend NOT GLITTER! (shimmer is for adults and glitter is fine until you’re 14 years old and then you stop!).
- Lipsticks and glosses are available which are fantastically long lasting. And have an SPF of minimum 8; try staining your lips with food colouring, an excellent trick I learned from my grandmother! You take an egg cup, drop a few drops of red or whichever colour you like, then dilute it with a few drops of water, with a lipstick brush you apply lightly to your lips, and presto you have a darker tint and a long lasting lip colour.
- Clarins make an excellent eyeliner/ shadow pencil that is waterproof, frankly one of the best as it really doesn’t melt, and lasts throughout the day.
- In case you do not like creams you can use powders, they are excellent for keeping your face matte. You can use loose translucent powder (applied with a puff and then the excess is brushed away with a powder brush), followed by a compact powder to touch up throughout the day.
- The fashion and passion for colour is in this summer, so in order to show off your colours you might think of getting an even base to apply your colourful palette. Using a fake tan in summer is allowed (actually you can use it to cover tan lines), and a lot of them are found with SPF’s.
- Do avoid tanning to much it is vulgar and besides it is harmful to your health.
- Be confident, be daring, be dazzling, you can shine and be a star, just simply you classics, choose clothes that flatter you, not necessarily what is fashionable.
- Brands I adore for the moment are: KANEBO (38 degrees mascara, a mascara formulated for high and humid temperatures), SHISEIDO & L’Oreal Papillon (their mascaras is the only mascara that gives your lashes length, thickness, curl, and doesn’t clump, all thanks to space age polymers), BENEFIT (their whole range of products are amazing), MAC, Garnier’s Ambre Soliare, Armani, MARY QUANT, GRIMAAS, C5, PRESCRIPTIVES, and SEPHORA (the retail giant of perfumes and make up) all these are available online.
- Remember you can always use a discreet make up in the day time, but you can also punch it up to something wild and wonderful, the colours are out there just waiting for you to use them….
- Always use a cooling mattifying cream/ lotion before applying any make up, even on your eyelids to set the products.
It’s all about the wands (okay the mascara does have an effect here it is the Papillon want which gives the effect of 3 different mascaras in one swoop. I had to use Telescopic Lash explosion, False lash, and Effets 4d to get that wide eyed thick fake lash look with no clumps now they created this yaaay. 😀
Here’s a bonus:
Skin Care Secrets 101
- We all desire great skin, and try all sorts of things to maintain and protect it. In this weeks piece I have listed a few products and things, to keep your skin in optimum shape.
- Whichever cleanser you choose (whether it’s a wipe off or a rinse off), it’s important to remove it thoroughly. Anything left on your skin could irritate it, causing dryness and redness. That’s why making sure there are no traces left of it is as important as putting it on in the first place.
- A lot of people don’t feel as if their faces are clean unless they use water. If you are one of them then a facial wash is your best bet ( a non soapy one), Pure by Garnier is good for most skin types, there’s also Freeman’s Papaya & Pineapple face wash which is excellent for oily skin. Both products leave the skin tingling squeaky clean, without drying it out.
- Get rid of the final traces of cleanser by using an astringent/toner(preferably without alcohol), or you can make your own from an infusion of Green tea and Sage (Oily skin), for drier skin you can get Rose water in most shops.
- Avoid using face towels made of cloth. Unless you use a clean one every day, it is a breeding ground for germs and other stuff which breed at an alarming pace, and you could end up with a dirtier rather than cleaner face.
- If you like to use natural, but still want to kill the bacteria, you can use tea tree oil soaps and cleansers (The Face shop stock an excellent range for all skintypes), Tea tree oil has been proven to be 38% more effective than most antibacterials and now Oregano oil is also touted to have the same properties.
- Give your face a treat. Get a facial (Spa Amber & Guinot), or do your own at home. Massage you face to boost circulation and to eliminate toxins. Use your fingers(after washing them of course!) to massage a cleanser into your forehead, cheeks and chin in a super light, circular motion, then tissue off or rinse off.
- You do not just cleanse your skin only, but you must cleanse and detoxify internally too. Drink plenty of liquids (Water & juices, not coffee and tea), keep yourself well hydrated by drinking water throughout the day. A cup of warm water with a slice of lemon in is also a great way of eliminating toxins from your system that accumulated overnight.
- Disposable wash cloths are excellent for midday freshen ups, there are plenty on the market, but I recommend Clean & clear for teenage and spot prone skin, baby wipes are an excellent way of removing make up in a hurry, they are the same and cheaper.
- Go easy on the eyes when cleansing. Try and use a formulation that is mild enough or specifically made for the eyes, and don’t rub harshly, you’ll irritate your skin, and that leads to wrinkling.
- In case you run out of toner, cold chamomile tea made with purified water (not tap water) makes a fabulous skin softener.
- Central Heating & Air conditioners are enemies of the skin, they dehydrate it, counteract their effects by placing a bowl of water in their vicinity to keep the moisture levels steady.
- Your skin needs fresh air, so, why not put a plant in your room- it’ll purify the air by absorbing the impurities. If you are not sure which plant to get, Spider plants and Hemp plants are the super purifiers, though stay away from the Hemp plant you might get arrested, go for the spider plant it is safe and legal. Also do not forget to water them.
- If you suffer from puffy eyes, switch to an eye cream that is lighter in consistency. You see the skin around your eyes is very delicate and thin. This means that rich and heavy moisturisers can cause puffiness, by being too heavy for that area. Opt for something light like gel in cream for the eyes, refreshes and protects.
- Did you know that nearly everyone has combination skin? This is when your T zone is oily (forehead, nose and chin), but your cheeks are dry. Do Not Be Afraid to Mix Two Different moisturisers on your skin, for different parts of your face. Try different combinations until you find what suits you.
- Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream is an emergency fix it for all types of problems, you can use it as a lip balm, lip colour, hand cream, and even as a brow tamer! (and it is still going strong).
- You must moisturise even if you have oily skin. Any product with tea tree oil is usually effective. But remember go for the oil free version, so you don’t get clogged pores.
- Confused by the multitudes of miracle creams out there? I don’t blame you. If you prefer simplicity, then go for something like Avon Basics Perfect Day Moisture Cream or Simple (they really are). The less fragrance and so-called wonder ingredients in a product, the less likely it is to irritate your skin.
- If you’re feeling tired, try putting your moisturisers in the fridge for a cool de-puffing treat.
- Always be prepared for any emergency, most companies make trial sizes & samples, you find them all over the place and do not be shy to ask for them, after all you must try before you buy. You’ll find creams, cleansers, toothbrushes, and masques in mini sizes get them, and always have them in your bag, in case you need to freshen up. You’ll even find mini make up in all colours and from most brands. Keep them in your bag and that way you’ll always look fresh and bright and that impresses everyone.
That is all for this time tune in again next week for another episode of…..Whoops wrong show!J
Have a good one all!